‘I don’t want to sound callous’: Andrea Domingo says Pagcor losing P12M a day with suspension of Resorts World casino
The Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corp. (Pagcor) is losing P10 million to P12 million a day with the suspension of operations of Resorts World Manila casino.
In an interview with ANC’s Karen Davila, Pagcor Chair Andrea Domingo said she has no idea when Resorts World would reopen after she ordered it suspended for lapses in containing a lone assailant, Jessie Carlos, who torched and shot bullets in the Pasay City casino that led to the death due to asphyxiation of 37 employees and guests.
“I don’t want to sound callous, but Pagcor is losing P10 million to P12 million a day with Resorts World closed,” said Domingo.
Pagcor earned P55 billion last year from the gaming industry which Domingo estimated was worth P155 billion a year. Doingo said that operations of three casinos at the Entertainment City – Solaire, City of Dreams and Okada – were normal.
Domingo said Pagcor was still waiting for the report from the Philippine National Police and the National Bureau of Investigation on the accountability of the the casino-hotel management.
Resorts World remains adamant that it did its best to contain the situation despite mounting evidence from the on-going House testimony about the serious security lapses it committed during the June 2 attack.