Tuesday 13 November
Powered by Ajaxy
Oct 12, 2017 @ 17:35

MVP Group, ESPN team up for sports channel


TV5 Network Inc. has forged a partnership with American sports broadcasting giant ESPN as it repositions itself into a news and sports network to serve millions of Filipino sports fans.

Under this long-term collaboration, TV5’s “Sports 5” will be rebranded as “ESPN5,” which will have the PBA, FIBA, Gilas, UFC, and PSL in its program line up as well as sports coverage from ESPN which include more than 70 NFL games per season.

“It’s a big positioning move for TV5, we are positioning ourselves really as a sports and news network. The network’s positioning is now very clear in eyes of the consumers and our advertisers,” said Vincent Reyes, president of TV5.

“We tried a lot of things, we tried to produce our own programs and we tried to partner with Viva [Entertainment], some worked and some didn’t, but all were not profitable. So that drove us to rethink and look at the position where we can make profit,” he added.

Reyes said its partnership with ESPN strengthens the company’s position as the country’s sports authority.

Mike Morrison, ESPN Asia Pacific vice president and general manger, said ESPN5 would deliver the most comprehensive, wide ranging sports coverage in the Philippines.

“We are very excited about the opportunities that lie ahead as we bring ESPN’s great content and decades of experience in sports media together with a dynamic leader in Philippine sports broadcasting like TV5,” Morrison said.

The two companies will also offer a co-branded world-class multisport ESPN5 website and an accompanying ESPN 5 app.

TV5 is , a subsidiary of the Manuel Pangilinan-led Mediaquest Holdings Inc. while ESPN is 80 percent owned by ABC, Inc., an indirect subsidiary of The Walt Disney Co. The Hearst Corp holds the remaining 20 percent of ESPN.

The network also terminated about 200 employees in December last ye

MediaQuest bought TV5 in 2009 from the Cojuangco family for P4 billion in line with its strategy of developing media, content and production resources to complement td other media platforms such as Cignal, a direct-to-home satellite service.

Please follow and like us:

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Related Stories
The broadcast arm of telco giant PLDT Inc. Network Inc. is inching toward the break-even
PLDT's broadcasting unit TV5 Network Inc.expects to halve its operating loss this year thanks to
TV5 Network Inc. asked the National Telecommunications Commission to recall the permit of Sky Cable
The Philippines and Japan on Wednesday signed exchange of notes for two official development assistance


Trending News

Recommended on sister sites

Copyright © 2018 Bilyonaryo - Latest news on the richest Filipinos and Family Business.