Tuesday 22 May
Powered by Ajaxy
Mar 23, 2018 @ 20:22

No takers? Duterte drops deadline on entry of Globe-Smart duopoly killer

 

President Rodrigo R. Duterte will no longer impose a deadline regarding the entry of the third telecommunications player in the country, his spokesperson said Thursday.

Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said the Chief Executive simply wants the telco carrier to be operational “as soon as possible”.

“Wala na po siyang deadline na si-net. Basta ang deadline niya (He no longer set a deadline. His deadline used to be) March, then it was not met. so as soon as possible,” Roque said in a Palace briefing.

Duterte earlier said he wanted the third telco carrier up by March but was aware that the deadline might be pushed to give other prospective players more time to prepare bidding documents.

The Department of Information and Communications Technology (DICT) earlier said the selection of a third telco carrier might have to wait until end of June or early July.

This, after the deadline for submission of bids for the third telco, which had already been moved to May 24, may have to be moved again.

Roque said that while the President might not necessarily be pleased about this development, it was the “reality” he had to accept.

“Whether or not he’s happy, that’s the reality. What can he do?” he said.

Political will

Roque, however, said Duterte deserved credit for using political will to push for the third telco carrier to be operational.

“At least, he prompted that actual steps be undertaken leading to the announcement in June. Had he not exercised political will, we would still have bickering from the duopoly and machinations and orchestrations against the third telecoms,” Roque said.

Duterte has repeatedly said how he has had enough of the poor internet and mobile phone services being offered by MVP Group’s PLDT-Smart Communications and the Ayala-owned Globe Telecom.

At present, telco carriers from China, Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, and India have signified their interest to invest in the country’s telecommunications industry. (PNA)

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Related Stories
The Department of Tourism (DOT) on Sunday reported a "milestone" after the Philippines breached its
AirAsia Philippines will start flying to Taiwan from Clark on July 12, the Clark International
Brooklyn Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov on Thursday completed the sale of a 49% stake in
Taiwan's struggling smartphone maker HTC posted its worst-ever quarterly loss on Monday, but said it


 

Trending News

Recommended on sister sites

Copyright © 2018 Bilyonaryo - Latest news on the richest Filipinos and Family Business.