Gov’t to build 8 bridges to connect Luzon, Visayas
Visayas won’t be so far from the capital once these linkages are built.
Finance Secretary Carlos Dominguez III said the government intends to spend almost P270 billion just to build eight major bridges that will connect Luzon and the Visayas.
Up for approval are the following projects:
- an 18.2-kilometer bridge to connect Samar provinces to the main island of Luzon,
- a 20-kilometer bridge connecting Leyte to Mindanao Island through either an Underwater Tunnel Bridge or a Long-Span Overhead Bridge,
- the 5.7-kilometer Panay-Guimaras bridge,
- the 12.3-kilometer Guimaras-Negros inter-island linkages connecting these islands,
- the one-kilometer Bohol-Lapinig Island bridge
- the 18.0- kilometer Lapinig Island-to-Leyte bridge,
- the 5.5-kilometer Cebu-Negros Link Bridge,
- and the 24.5-kilometer Cebu-to-Bohol Link Bridge.
This is part of the grand infrastructure spending agenda of the Duterte administration, saying that it will provide “growth corridors” for both land masses, Dominguez said.