Duterte won’t issue EO banning casinos in Boracay: My word is enough
President Rodrigo Duterte will not issue an executive order (EO) banning casinos in Boracay, saying his words are enough to deter businessmen to continue operating such establishments.
Duterte told reporters in Boracay Thursday (November 8) that there will be no casinos on the island because people don’t want it.
Asked if an EO is necessary to enforce the ban on casinos, Duterte said: “No, I’ll just say that huwag na lang. Anyway, it’s a privilege. Whether I put it in writing or just say it verbally. It is not a requirement that I should really be, you know, writing something.”
Environment Secretary Roy Cimatu and Interior Secretary Eduardo Año have been tasked to ensure no casino is operating in Boracay, the President added.
“If I were the owner of the hotel, I should not be speculating as to what will happen to me if I defy the government,” he said.
Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra recommended the issuance of EO banning casinos in Boracay after the island was reopened to tourists last month.
Guevarra told Tourism Secretary Bernadette Romulo-Puyat in a letter that an EO would be the “most expedient and effective” way of stopping casino operations on the island.
“Anything less than an EO would appear more transitory and would water down the President’s understandably steadfast desire to disassociate Boracay Island with big-business gambling,” he said.
See related story: