Saturday 7 December
Dec 2, 2019 @ 19:49

Duterte declines Xi Jinping’s hack-proof cellphone gift

 

President Rodrigo Duterte on Monday bared that he declined a hack-proof cellphone offered to him by the Chinese government acknowledging the country’s ability to commit espionage.

Duterte made this remark allaying fears over China’s co-ownership of the National Grid Corp. of the Philippines (NGCP), a private consortium that manages and operates the Philippines’ power grid.

“Right now, they (China) are listening to us, satellites, without using the grid, the spies, they know, I know because I have talked to him (Chinese President Xi Jinping),” Duterte said in an interview over GMA’s Unang Hirit.

“They offered to give me a cellphone that could not be hacked,” he added.

He said he declined the hack-proof cellphone because “I do not want the people suspect that I have secrets.”

Duterte reiterated that the public should not be alarmed over China’s co-ownership NGCP emphasizing that it was purely done for “business” and no plans to stop the power grid’s operations.

“I will ask China now. I’d like to address myself, respectfully to President Xi, what could be the reason because I do not believe that they will do,” Duterte said.

“But if there is, what could be the reason for you to cut. What could be the possible reason that China would spy or cut the grid?” he added.

China’s State Grid Corp. controls 40 percent of the NGCP, which supervises the management and operation of the country’s power transmission lines owned by state-owned National Transmission Corp.

Last week, former Senior Associate Justice Antonio Carpio warned of Beijing’s co-ownership of the NGCP due to its capability to shut down the Philippines’ power grid.

The NGCP clarified the State Grid Corporation of China’s role was limited to being a “technical adviser” while Chinese foreign ministry spokesperson Geng Shuang said such claim was “completely groundless.”
(PNA)

Please follow and like us:
error

Tags: , , ,

Related Stories
Chinese investor Jiang Rungong, who moved to Greece three years ago, says he and his
President Rodrigo Duterte says China is willing to give the Philippines a majority 60 percent
As fresh US tariffs on Chinese imports kick in, Illinois-based phone accessories manufacturer Ben Buttolph
China said Monday it had lodged a complaint against the United States with the World


 

Trending News

Copyright © 2019 Bilyonaryo - Latest news on the richest Filipinos and Family Business.