The Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corp. has directed all Philippine offshore gaming operators (POGOs) to surrender all Chinese nationals with suspected criminal liabilities to the Chinese embassy amid a crackdown on cross-border fraud.
According to Pagcor, at least 2,000 or three percent of the 70,000 Chinese nationals who were illegally working in POGOs and in other fraudulent offshore operations had already been been repatriated to China since January 15.
“The crackdown is a result of PAGCOR’s constant coordination with the Chinese embassy and law enforcement agencies to ensure that proper regulations are observed,” Pagcor said.
“With China’s recent move, illegal Chinese workers who are involved in various cybercrime fraud – including those who are employed in the POGOs – will have to face the consequences,” the gaming regulator said.
Pagcor said it would continue to cooperate closely with the Chinese embassy and other law enforcement agencies to help arrest illegal aliens and penalize employers who are coddling Chinese fugitives.
With the help of the Department of Justice, Pagcor seeks to create an operations center where all problems related to illegal gambling and cybercrimes will be coursed through.