Business

China resumes construction of 2 Pasig River bridges at 50% capacity

The construction of two bridges over Pasig River has resumed at 50 percent capacity, the Chinese Embassy in Manila said.

The construction of two bridges over Pasig River has resumed at 50 percent capacity, the Chinese Embassy in Manila said.

“On May 11th, as required by the Philippine implementing agency, CRBC (China Road and Bridge Corporation) started to reopen the project while strictly followed the government’s quarantine policies. The project has so far resumed 50 percent capacity,” it said in a statement.

Upon request of the Philippines, China provided grants to build two bridges over the river connecting the Chinatown and Intramuros, as well as the cities of Mandaluyong and Makati.

The projects came to a halt after the government imposed an enhanced community quarantine in Manila last March.

The embassy said during the quarantine period, CRBC, the project contractor, provided its workers with sufficient supplies to maintain their livelihood. None of them contracted the coronavirus disease, said the embassy.

The announcement was made as Chinese Ambassador to Manila Huang Xilian visited the sites on June 2, during which he stressed the need for resumption of construction as the government works on epidemic prevention.

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.