Adel Tamano, chief administrative officer of DITO, said the company had already spent close to P150 billion for the initial rollout of its infrastructure as well as other operating expenses.
As of September 13, DITO had 859 of the 1,300 towers needed to reach its target of 37 percent population coverage and speed of 27mbps by January next year.
To ensure the continued rollout of cell sites, DITO signed up six contractors on top of LCS Holdings for North Luzon and NCR, ZEAL Power for Southern Luzon, ALT Global for the Visayas and CEEC Tower for Mindanao. Two of the six newly appointed contractors include Aboitiz for Cebu and Davao, and the LEO Group for the NCR.
Tamano is confident DITO will meet its technical audit target as well as commercial operations goal by January and March next year, respectively.
The third telco player has tapped Fortinet, NexusGuard, McAfee, Nessus, Veritas, Pentaho Data, IDAM Systems by BeyondTrust, Microsoft, Cisco ISE, Siemplify, ManageEngine, and SolarWinds, – all leaders in cyber security solutions – to ensure that DITO and the country are safe and secure.
“We are Pinoy and do not deny the fact that we are ChinaTel-backed. We do understand the sensitivities this poses and how this has been played up to be a negative thing in the media. However let me take this opportunity to inform the public that ChinaTel is in fact a Fortune Global 500 company and the world’s largest broadband internet network with a diversified customer base of 900 million users who decided to invest in our country through a partnership with DITO,” Tamano said.