BOC, however, clarified that its internet service provider PLDT Inc. had nothing to do with its online system failure.
It said the internet outage was “caused by the cut of PLDT primary fiber cable due to the concrete re-blocking done in front of the Manila City hall which caused network downtime not only to the BOC but to all other government agencies within the vicinity.”
PLDT said a backhoe had cut through its fiber cable, causing connectivity disruption.
“The BoC fiber cable break was traced to an ongoing public roadworks fronting Manila City Hall and not to any fault in PLDT’s network or facilities. For the record, BoC’s digital connectivity had been fully restored as early as December 4, 12:21 pm,” PLDT said in a statement sent to BILYONARYO.
Despite the internet outage, BOC said it “carried on with its operations and collected P1.6 billion in revenues.
BOC pointed out that only the connection of its ports to the Customs Processing System was affected.
PLDT, meanwhile, said it was coordinating with the BOC to further strengthen its digital resiliency as an added measure.